Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Halloween Costume Idea: Mrs. Scissorhands



Halloween is a great opportunity to express some creativity.  It is one of those times when just about anything goes and it really allows you to think out of the box.  If you have a bit of imagination you can really make a great costume for a fraction of what you would pay for a pre-made one and it usually looks cooler.  

This year I saw a costume online for Mrs. Scissorhands.  Unfortunately the costume was $40 and it didn't even come with scissor hands. 

So, I decided to make my own.  

I just happened to be cleaning out some drawers and came across a skirt/dress that was given to me.  It was black and I thought I just might be able to make it work for my costume.  
I cut the skirt portion off and flipped it upside down to make my top for the costume.  I sewed on some strips of leather fabric for the straps that came from a skirt my sister bought at a yard sale for only $3.
The top wasn't quite fitted so I made a cut down the back and sewed some fabric on both sides to reinforce it.  Then cutting slits down both sides so that strips of fabric could thread threw... essentially making a corseted top.  
For the bottom I borrowed my nieces tutu and a black skirt from my sister.  
Then after checking my closet and some thrift stores I had about 5 belts to go over my top.  
I put on some tights and cuts some holes in them. 
My shoes were an awesome find at a consignment store clearance sale only $1.90?!?

For my scissor hands I cut out pieces of card stock covered them in Silver duct tape ($4) and colored the handle part black.  Then I attached the scissors in pairs with one of these... 
So I ended up with 6 pairs of scissors... 3 for each hand.  I did one pair for each hand with a bit longer length just to make it interesting.  
I just attached these to my hands with more of the silver duct tape.  It made it a bit difficult to eat but by the end of the night I was a pro, the scissors are very forgiving and flexible with the duct tape. 



So for the cost breakdown: 
Top: free
Straps: $3
Bottom: Borrowed= free
Belts: $4
Shoes: $1.90
Duct Tape: $4
TOTAL COST: $12.90

Hair: The night before I put my hair in 3 sock buns...
One on top of my head and one on each side. I didn't need to do the back because first of all it's too short and second of all I kind of have a naturally curly mullet... but only in the back of my hair.   
 *I call it my secret mullet ; )  Lucky me!*
If you don't have the built in secret mullet you could have added an additional sock bun OR just curled your hair.  
I wore the sock buns all night and all day.  When I took them out I had these awesome crazy curls.  A bit of back combing, some hair spray and a few clips and bam huge hair : ) 
It was really the easiest part of the costume.  

Makeup:  I used a black eyeliner to get a nice shape and then smudged out the edges and added some black shadow to add some subtle shimmer.  Under the eyes I did a dark brown shadow and just smudged it out.  My lashes pretty much disappeared at that point so I decided to do them white.  Where do you get white mascara you ask?  Well some mascaras come with a primer that is usually white... I just used multiple layers of the primer and wha la white lashes that really stood out against the black shadow.  I did some dark shadow under my cheek bones for some definition and then more black eye liner for my lips.  I was really impressed how well my lips stayed even with eating and drinking at the party.  




Here is the costume all put together: 

And a few more fun images. 


*This is my sister with her amazing Werewolf hunter costume.* 


Coming up on the next blog post.... The dead doll costume! Spooky! 





No comments:

Post a Comment