Thursday, December 29, 2011

Toes and accountability.

Last night I made a quick run to the grocery store for a few things... as I was heading inside my mind was wandering thinking about the possible gang members living in our apartment complex (this was in the days previous conversations) and I somehow tripped as I stepped up onto the curb.  Tripped meaning I ended up laying on the sidewalk with a throbbing toe.  This morning when I woke up this is what I found:
A nice bruise across my toe and a difficulty bending it in either direction very well.  I wanted to go to the gym this morning and I thought Crossfit makes me feel better all the time why not my toe? 

I entered the gym with some apprehension of even being able to complete the workout being that today was 4 rounds of 800 meter running.  Oh yay my favorite running :(   Now, I have never enjoyed running and have never really done it much but Crossfit has really taught me that you can learn how to do anything and there is always room for improvement.  So off I ran... my first 2 rounds I got the same time 6:22.  As I was starting my third round a visitor from a Crossfit gym in Anaheim, CA named Al joined me on the run.  I assumed he was just starting his own round until he asked me what time we were going to beat? I was a bit confused and he then explained he was just warming up and was there to help me beat my time.  He stuck by me, always running just a bit faster so I wouldn't slow down.   I made it to the top of the hill where we turn around and head back to the gym, this is when it got more challenging.  He told me to relax it's just down hill from there, then the closer we got to the gym the faster he had me running and by the end we were sprinting and he was cheering me along.  I came in and had beat my previous times by almost a full minute!  Was it easy? No way, but it felt great accomplishing something that I walked into the gym not even knowing I could finish let alone improve.  It also shows the power of accountability in our lives and that other people can see our potential especially in an area we feel weak in. Why is it so easy to not strive as hard when were are alone with no one challenging our standards or method?  
A big thanks to Al from Anaheim Crossfit for challenging and believing in me today! 

And... my toe is feeling a bit better than it did this morning : )

No comments:

Post a Comment