Monday, January 9, 2012

Nap Time Crafts: Jewelry Hanger

I met up with my sister today to pick up some coupons she snagged for me, as we were having a quick chat she mentioned she wanted to make her own jewelry tree or hanger.  I expressed how much I needed one as well and after hearing her fabulous idea I said, "Let's do it right now."  So.... we did.  That's right, we forgot about the dishes, checkbooks, laundry, and other mundane household chores and decided to create something much needed and awesome.  Her idea was to get a piece of board and paint it fun and add some large nails for hanging the jewelry on.  
We headed to Home Depot and found a sheet of plywood that was thick enough for some heavy duty nails but not too heavy to make it difficult to hang on the wall.  Home Depot gladly did 2 cuts for us giving us 3 jewelry boards! Two boards 12"x 34" and one 14"x 24".  We also picked up some 1 1/2 inch nails with a nice large head, and some metal picture hanging brackets for the back.   
Total cost: UNDER $20!!! 
We painted a base coat of black (this is my favorite back round color, everything looks amazing on black!).  And from there let our imaginations wander.  

This is the one we made for her roommate, it's a bit hard to tell in the picture but the birds are a metallic silver, and the large dots you see are the nails.  Now, the only difficulty we had with this project was getting the nails to stay.  Some of them went in nicely but others would seem in and you would move onto another and they would start popping out, if I did this project again I would consider using screws or smaller nails.  You also had to be careful how far you pounded them in because if you got them too deep they would come out the other side of the wood.  

 This is my sisters... it will match her bedroom perfectly and I LOVE these colors.  She did a great job painting it, but we ran out of time to get the nails in so she took it home to finish that part.

Here is mine... I was so excited to hang it up that it was still partially drying when I hung it on the wall. I painted my nails black so they would blend in and you don't really even notice them when you look at the painting.  
Here is a side shot so you can see how much the nails are actually sticking out and the thickness of the board.  I only painted the head of the nail, but because the angle of the light it looks like the whole nail is painted black when you see it on the wall.  

I love that we were able to combine art and function all in one inexpensive project.  It was such a fun surprise for my day and I'm so glad we were able to accomplish 95% of it during nap time... SUCCESS!!!  Thanks to my sister for the fabulous idea and willingness to set aside her full "to do" list and join me in the creativity!  

2 comments:

  1. Aubree loved her jewelry keeper! Brian hammered aubrees nails in farther, and he did mine for me too. Good thing because I suck at nailing! We hung it up on the wall, and i put all the jewelry on it. Its right above my dresser where the other art use to be. It looks awesome! PRaint projects rock compared to chores! Love some avoidance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these too Jess! Only a tish different! They are soo fun and great gifts! :) I'll post pics just for fun!

    ReplyDelete