Thursday, January 28, 2010

Crossfit confessions...


Okay let me get real here for a minute.  I've never been one for serious working out.  I ran at The Honor Academy, I did Power 90 before my wedding, Andrew and I did Body for Life when we were first married, and I've trained for a 5K.  But none of that compares to the last 4 months going to a Crossfit gym.
It's intense,
you sweat,
you question each time you walk in the door if you will leave alive,
but...
I'm addicted. 

Recently I've found myself reaching for something and I catch a glance of my toned arm... where did those muscles come from? I'm not even flexing? Now it's not like I'm ripped and I'm probably the only one who notices but I'm proud of myself for sticking with something that is a huge challenge.  It requires me to wake up "before the dew" (4:00AM) and to push myself harder than I ever have in my life.  So just a warning: if you catch me paused mid reach for something it's probably because I'm checking myself out.

God truly speaks to me in the midst of my challenging workouts.  He exposes weakness and strengths in my body and mind.  Weaknesses and strengths in my emotions and perceptions of life and myself.  Yes, I have cried at the gym and it wasn't because it hurt my body... I'd like to call it a wall ball alter call (that was fun... look at all those L's).

I'd also like to give some props to all the amazing people that join me there every morning.  I have been motivated, cheered for, encouraged, and inspired by every single one of them.  There have been many moments when I felt like I couldn't go on and a few words from my fellow Crossfitters, even them just shouting my name,  have given me what I needed to make it through.  There's never been a negative word spoken towards me at the gym.  I contribute part of my success to these wonderfully positive people.

I know this is just the beginning of my Crossfit journey but I'm so pleased with the effect it has had on my life so far and I know there are many greater things to come.

2 comments:

  1. You are hilariously honest! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Now I'm definitely checking out your arms, the next time we see each other...just a heads up!

    ReplyDelete