Friday, January 1, 2010

Kefir ...and a little Jack Bauer



Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products...
...but they contain different types of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt contains transient beneficial bacteria that keep the digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there.  But kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt cannot match. Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt, Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species.
It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body. They do so by penetrating the mucosal lining where unhealthy yeast and bacteria reside, forming a virtual SWAT team that housecleans and strengthens the intestines. Hence, the body becomes more efficient in resisting such pathogens as E. coli and intestinal parasites. 
Kefir's active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by helping digest the foods that you eat and by keeping the colon environment clean and healthy.
Because the curd size of kefir is smaller than yogurt, it is also easier to digest, which makes it a particularly excellent, nutritious food for babies, the elderly and people experiencing chronic fatigue and digestive disorders.

When I visited North Dakota my friend sent me home with some Kefir.  I had tasted some in a smoothie while I was there.  It was pretty interesting when she told me what it was but I didn't fully understand until she showed me.  I've told some of you about it too but thought I'd share some photos so you can understand a little bit more...

It's starts with the "kefir grains". They kind of look like a large piece of cottage cheese but with more of a gelatin consistency.  Me and my mom call it our Kefir pet:


Next step you put the Kefir grains in a mason jar with 2 cups of organic whole milk:



Then you place it in a cool dark cupboard for 24 hrs:


After 24 hrs you strain the Kefir:

When you pour it in it seems to have the consistency of thin sour cream but then you tap the strainer and you end up with just the Kefir grains left in the strainer.  And in the bowl: fresh Kefir that can be kept in the fridge for a few weeks.

Here is the Kefir. The consistency is similar to buttermilk:


Then you take the Kefir grains and repeat the process.  You are using the same Kefir grains over and over.  The grains actually grow and will break apart you can remove the pieces and start new jars of Kefir.  If you leave the Kefir grains large your Kefir will just be a thicker consistency.



A few other things I've learned about Kefir:
-It is great to use in pancakes. You just use Kefir instead of water with your pancake mix and it makes the fluffiest pancakes ever! I've never had such fluffy pancakes!
-Great for baking. We've used it in biscuits and dinner rolls. It add just a fresh flavor to it.  
-Smoothies.  We've substituted it for a portion of the milk used in a smoothie. I also made a Big Train (Blended coffee drink like a frappuccino) and added some Kefir with the milk.  
-The flavor of Kefir is similar to sour cream but a bit different.  It has it's own flavor that is mildly sweet and tangy.  

Funny Thought:
When I first heard the name Kefir I thought of Kiefer Sutherland...  who plays Jack Bauer in the hit show 24. (I picked this photo because he's wearing a scarf.)

The more I thought about it the more I realized how similar my Kefir and Kiefer Sutherland have in common.
*Kefir dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts. 
 Kiefer Sutherland fights off the bad guys that are trying to dominate and control our country. 
*Kefir is a virtual SWAT team.
Kiefer Sutherland is a SWAT team. 
*Kefir only takes 24 hours to make.
Kiefer Sutherland only takes 24 hours to save the world. 
*Kefir helps keep our colon clean and healthy.
Kiefer Sutherland helps keep our country clean and healthy.


3 comments:

  1. This was absolutely hysterical--Brian and I laughed our guts out. I'd like to take a little credit about the kefir, if I may. I'm pretty sure I introduced it to the Northern known world, or maybe just the CRMC people of Bismarck, or maybe our culdesac. But anyway, I did introduce it, and your kefir guys (that's what we call them at our house), are the offspring of our kefir guys! They are related, and because of that I feel so much closer to you. Also Brian would like to point out that Kiefer Sutherland is a heavy drinker, and since you are what you eat (drink), he a yeast as is our kefir guys. Kefir is somewhat sour, and Kiefer is somewhat sour. The scarf is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious!
    I so want my own Kefir! : )
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! I died laughing! This blog makes me miss you so much and feel closer to you at the same time! I love it and you! keep it going!

    ReplyDelete